The future for farmers in the Amazon. RUNA is a compelling and powerfully sustainable model that combines the preservation of the Amazon rainforest with supporting local farmers bring a native ingredient to the global market. RUNA energy drinks suit the fast-growing market for healthy, sustainable food and functional beverages.
RUNA wants to raise awareness of the plight of the Amazon rainforest and its indigenous communities. They utilize Guayusa, a plant native to the Amazon, that is farmed in a sustainable manner and distributed via a fair trade supply chain. While the drinks boost people’s energy, the business boosts the numbers of farmers who have work opportunities, the income they receive, the number of trees planted, and the availability of community projects.
- Improving the livelihoods of 3,000 indigenous Amazonian farmers
- Raising the average income that each farmer generates from guayusa to USD $300 by 2019, a 20% increase over average income, and a near fourfold increase on the 2015 numbers for guayusa income
- 15% social premium paid to support community development projects for guayusa farmers
- Planting of two million guayusa trees in Ecuador
- Expanding their model to Peru